The Armor of God
Perhaps you could pause and reflect on one piece of God’s armor each day for your one minute moment this week. Print or write out each one on a card and tape it to the door you walk out of each day. Read it aloud before you walk out the door and spend one minute praying for God to suit you up.
If it seems more manageable or you want more time with these scripture verses, consider doing one for the whole week and read it as you leave the house each day and switch to the next piece of God’s armor each week for seven weeks.
1) The Belt (of Truth): "Stand firm in the belt of truth buckled around your waist" Ephesians 6:14. The belt of truth involves two places; our hearts and our minds. Truth keeps us secure in Christ and makes effective all the other pieces of armor. The belt of truth holds our armor in place. Commit yourself daily to walk in the light of God's truth. "Teach me your ways, O Lord, that I may live according to your truth!" Psalm 86:11
2) The Breastplate (of Righteousness): "with the breastplate of righteousness in place," Ephesians 6:14 - A soldier with a breastplate goes into battle boldly with confidence. The devil is constantly attacking with lies, accusations and reminders of past sin. Without the breastplate of righteousness, these will penetrate your heart. Become aware of who you are in Christ Jesus. Come boldly into His presence (Hebrews 4:16). He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Cor 5:21
3) The Shoes (of Peace & Preparation): "For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared." Ephesians 6:15. Shoes allow us to stand firm and step freely, without fear, while we turn our full attention to the battle at hand. They aid in our movement and defense. The shoes God gives propel us onward to proclaim the true peace, which is available in Christ. Prepare yourself to follow the Lord no matter what.
4) The Shield (of Faith): "Above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one." Ephesians 6:16 - The shield not only defends our whole body but also our armor. The shield of faith has a very specific function, which the Bible makes abundantly clear: quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. Not some but all of them. The shield moves with the attack no matter the direction.
5) The Helmet (of Salvation): "Take the helmet of salvation." Ephesians 6:17 - Satan's target: Your mind. Satan's weapon: Lies. The enemy wants to make us doubt God and our salvation. The helmet protects our minds from doubting the truth of God's saving work for us. "Since we belong to the day, we must be serious and put the armor of faith and love on our chests, and put on a Helmet of the Hope of Salvation" 1 Thessalonians 5:8
6) The Sword (of The Spirit): Put on "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Ephesians 6:17 - The sword of the Spirit is the only weapon of offense in the armor, but the Word/Bible is also a tool for defense. Strongholds, arguments and thoughts are all weapons the enemy uses against us. With the Sword of the Spirit, God's word, the people are equipped to deal with them all. We need to trust in the truth of God's Word. Have confidence in the value of God's word. Get a hunger and desire for it.
7) Prayer: " Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere." Ephesians 6:18
We can pray, such as:"Dear God, Today we put on your full armor. Forgive us God for the times we’ve been unprepared, too busy to care, or trying to fight and wrestle in our own strength. Thank you that we never fight alone, for You are constantly at work on our behalf. We believe your power protects us, and we trust In the powerful name of Jesus. You are always shielding, protecting, strengthening, exposing deeds of darkness, bringing to light what needs to be known, covering us from the cruel attacks we face even when we’re unaware. We thank you that we are forgiven, set free and saved by the grace in Christ Jesus through faith. Amen."